Ordering jerseys for your hockey team is a process. It's not like picking up a few extra pucks or the post game brews: you need a logo, team colours, sizing, payment from the team (arguably the most important part), some time for us to print and ship them...but it all starts generating a team name. No team name = no sweaters, sorry boys and girls!
Now, we didn't want to baffle you with one of these annoying lists where you scroll through hundreds of names not knowing where to stop. Just like we try to do when you're ordering your jerseys, we've tried to make it easy by breaking these names into sub-categories. There's a time and place for every team name: you wouldn't want your son or daughter's team named "Book Hockey", but sometimes your beer league team needs to spice it up a bit more than something generic and overused like "Leafs" or "Warriors".
Now, let us assure you: most of this list is comprised of real team names that have been used by a team somewhere, at some point. We've even provided pictures when we've created them ourselves for customers and managed to snag a pic!
To help you navigate the below lists here is what to expect in each category. In a number of cases we came up with/found names that straddled multiple categories, so tried to pick where we thought it fit best!
- Pro team names: nicknames used by current or former NHL or WHA teams (when you want to be traditional)
- Minor league, college, and junior hockey team names: nicknames used AHL, ECHL, NCAA, and junior A, B, and C teams (when you want to sound like a serious hockey team, but also stand out with something more unique)
- Traditional team names: more names we generated that follow the usual "serious hockey franchise" vibe
- Classic beer league hockey team names: fun names we commonly hear, but you probably wouldn't use for your kids' teams
- Creative/funny hockey team names: similar to classic team names, but a bit more clever (at least we think). We've created jerseys for thousands of teams across North America, so these are ones we'd call "more unique" or "less common" than those in the "classic" category.
- Beer-related team names: when you can't resist a good beer reference. In the words of one of our former goalies, "Well, I don't come for the hockey!"
- Women's team names: a few names specifically designed for the ladies!
- Dirty/NSFW team names: for teams who like to push the envelope with their convener. Be careful who's looking over your shoulder when scrolling through these.
- Pop culture references: there's more than a handful of hockey movies out there
- Player or team references: a number of "play on words" of NHL players or team names
- Fantasy hockey team names: usually a reference to an NHL player. The difference here for the player/team references is that these are usually names where it's harder to come up with a logo to attached ot it.